How to install new maps in Skater XL
Skater XL is a skateboarding game currently in Early Access on Steam. That is likely to change with its 1.0 release around the corner on the 28th of July 2020. We wrote a review about what you can expect from the game in its current state here for those who are still on the fence about buying Skater XL. Skater XL offers only two starting maps when you first play it and you cannot help but want some more places to try out your tricks. There are some amazing maps creating by the modding community. In this article we will give you a quick guide on how easy it is to install new maps in Skater XL. We know modding is daunting to those who don’t even know where to start. We can assure you this is easy as pie to get yourself some new maps for Skater XL.
Step 1 – How to opt into the Skater XL beta program on Steam
For the first step, you must opt into the beta version of the game through steam. You can do this by following these steps:
- Open Steam.
- Find Skater XL in your library.
- Right click on Skater XL in your library.
- Click on the “Properties…” item in the drop down list.
- You will see a Skater XL properties window with tabs; GENERAL, UPDATES, LOCAL FILES and BETAS.
- Click on the “BETAS” tab.
- Click on the drop down that currently reads “None – Opt out of all beta programs”. This only means you haven’t yet opted into any beta programs for this game.
- Select the option that reads “beta – public beta builds”.
- You can now close the Skater XL properties window.
You will now see Steam installing an update for Skater XL, containing all the additional content that the developers put into their public beta releases. Please wait while the update finishes downloading.
Step 2 – Download Skater XL maps
The easiest way to find popular maps would be to head over to the Skater XL Discord server and browse the maps channels until you see something that you would like to try out. Always be cautious about what you download.
- Download a custom Skater XL map found on the Skater XL Discord Server.
Step 3 – Find your Skater XL folder in your Documents
Now that you have successfully downloaded a couple of custom maps, it’s time to find out where you have to copy them for the game to automatically detect them.
- Open File Explorer in Windows.
- Navigate to your “Documents” folder.
- Once you have navigated to your “Documents” folder you should see a Skater XL folder. In my case, the folder was not automatically created. If you already have the folder, skip to step 5, if not please follow step 4.
- Create a folder called “Skater XL”. It is important that you type it out correctly, otherwise it will not work. Once you have created the Skater XL folder, open the folder and create another folder called “Maps”.
- Copy your downloaded custom Skater XL map found in the folder where your downloaded files gets stored. In my case it was in the “Downloads” folder.
- Paste your custom Skater XL map into the “Maps” folder.
Step 4 – Playing your new maps
If you have successfully followed all the steps, it is finally time to jump into your new exciting maps.
- Launch Skater XL from Steam.
- You might notice some new features put into the beta by the developers like a more involved tutorial.
- Launch the main menu once you have loaded into the default “West L.A. Courthouse” map.
- At the top you will see “Official Maps”, hover over “Official Maps” and navigate to the right until you see the tab’s name change to “Custom Maps”.
- Under the “Custom Maps” tab you will see your newly added maps.
- Select the one you would like to play and head straight in!
We hope this quick guide helped you explore some amazing maps created by the Skater XL modding community.