How to mod Skater XL?
Modding is an essential part of your Skater XL experience. From real brands to map editors, the options are endless when it comes to the mods available for Skater XL. There are lots of guides on how to mod out there, just be careful to not follow any dodgy link or blindly download files from someone’s Google Drive. In this modding guide, we kept to all the official modding sites to prevent obvious cyber crime.
What do you need to mod Skater XL?
The foundation of modding most Unity built games is the Unity Mod Manager. The Unity Mod manager is a tool that allows you to install/remove and manage your game’s mods.
How to install Unity Mod Manager?
Let’s start the modding process for Skater XL by following the following steps.
- Register an account at https://www.nexusmods.com we would rather download any mod related items from an official site, rather than someone’s Google Drive, and the Unity Mod Manager is kept up to date on this site.
- Once you have signed into your Nexus Mods account, search for Unity Mod Manager.
- Click on the “Manual” download icon to download the Unity Mod Manager.
- Unless you have a premium Nexus Mods account, click on the Slow download option to download the Unity Mod Manager.
- Navigate to your downloads folder on your computer.
- You will find a Unity Mod Manager zip file in your downloads folder.
- Right-click on the zip file and select the “Extract All” option.
- Choose any location where you would like to extract the files. We just kept the extracted Unity Mod Manager in the downloads folder.
How to use the Unity Mod Manager
- Navigate to the folder where you extracted the Unity Mod Manager.
- Open the folder and double click on the UnityModManager.exe. If you experience some problems opening the Unity Mod Manager, please see step 3, 4, and 5.
- If Unity Mod Manager does not open, try running the application as an administrator and ensure that you have the latest .NET framework installed. You can find the latest .NET framework here.
- If the Windows Defender Smartscreen is preventing you from running this software, click on “More info” and click on “Run anyway”.
- We received multiple Unhandled Exception errors and the Unity Mod Manager would crash. Turns out we had more than one instance of the software running at the same time. Please ensure that you have only one instance of the Unity Mod Manager running.
How to get Unity Mod Manager Set up to mod Skater XL?
Now that you have the Unity Mod Manager up and running, it is time to link it with Skater XL:
- When you open the Unity Mod Manager, you will see the option to select games. If Skater XL is on that list, select Skater XL. If you see a message saying, “Game folder ‘Skater XL’ not found, follow step 2. If Skater XL was automatically detected, please follow step 3.
- You have to manually select the folder where your Skater XL is installed. Click on the folder selection option and navigate to where your game is installed. I found mine here E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skater XL.
- Now that the Unity Mod Manager has picked up the folder where you installed Skater XL you will notice that the installation method is now highlighted and the “Assembly” option is selected.
- Click on the “Install” button at the top of the application to create a folder inside your Skater XL folder where all the mods will be managed.
How to download and install mods for Skater XL
You have now successfully linked the Unity Mod Manager with Skater XL and it is time to download and install mods.
- Head over to the https://skaterxl.mod.io/ and select Skater XL from the side menu.
- Select a mod that interests you and download it.
- With the Unity Mod Manager open, click on the “Mods” tab.
- Drag the .zip file into the space where it says “Drop zip files here”. This will unzip the mod files into your Skater XL modding folder.
- Once the mod has been successfully installed you will see it appear on the list with an “OK” status.
- Open Skater XL and enjoy your new experience with all the mods you installed!
We hope this guide to install mods for Skater XL helps. If you don’t want to go as far as downloading a mod manager there is also a way to add maps to Skater XL without going through the process above. You can find our guide on installing new maps for Skater XL here.